Posted: Jun 24, 2015
OPTIMA's Search for the Ultimate Street Car 2015 Points Chase
Five events are in the books in OPTIMA's Search for the Ultimate Street Car, presented by Advance Auto Parts and the points race is officially taking shape. Three of the nine qualifying events are double-point events and a competitor's best three finishes are calculated in their season-long point totals. Michigan International Speedway was the first double-point event, with Charlotte Motor Speedway and California Speedway being the remaining two double-point qualifiers, with Pike's Peak and Road America added to the qualifying mix as single-point events.
The top point leader in each class, who has not already received an invitation to the 2015 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational will each receive an invitation to the OUSCI, followed by the next 11 competitors who the highest point totals, but have also not yet qualified, regardless of the class in which they compete. That leaves us with a total of 15 entries into the 2015 OUSCI based on season-long point totals. Starting with the MIS event, we will be updating the standings here in the Power Source blog, so you know who is in position for an invite and who is on the bubble, poised to potentially move ahead at the next event.
- Larry Woo 1968 Chevrolet Camaro (GTV) 399.7333*
- Dannie Pinard 2013 Chevrolet Camaro (GT) 341.6267*
- Kyle Tucker 1970 Chevrolet Camaro (GTV) 336.8667
- Keith Corrigan 1968 Chevrolet Camaro (GTV) 322.5467
- Bradley Yonkers 2002 Chevrolet Corvette (GTS) 318.9*
- Chris Porter 1986 Porsche 948 (GTV) 286.1333
- Douglas Wind 2004 Dodge SRT4 (GTL) 272*
- Chris Neal 2014 Chevrolet Corvette (GTS) 262.0667
- Bret Voelkel 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (GTV) 261.9333
- Karl Dunn 2002 Chevrolet Corvette (GTL) 258.1567
Last Five In
- Tony Grzelakowski 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle (GTV) 256.3
- Jeremiah Stotler 2015 Ford Mustang (GT) 245.7133
- Chandler Premo 2009 BMW M3 (GT) 232.2733
- Tyrone Walker 2006 Chevrolet Corvette (GTS) 219.97
- Casey Woodside 2010 Chevrolet Camaro (GT) 217.58
First Five Out
- Kevin Tully 1964 Plymouth Valiant (GTV) 213.2167
- Greg Guerrettaz 2011 Chevrolet Camaro (GT) 213.06
- James Forbis 2007 Chevrolet Corvette (GTL) 212.7333
- Andrew Nier 2012 Ford Mustang (GT) 209.4
- Danny Tinch 1995 Nissan 240SX (GTL) 202.3133
*Class points leader
As the numbers show, the bump spot for qualifying is currently at 217.58 points and the potential field of OUSCI qualifiers is very Chevy-heavy. Andrew Nier's 19th-place 2012 Ford Mustang is the only competitor in the top-20, who didn't compete at the double-points event at Michigan International Speedway. However, Nier is signed up to run at the final double-qualifying event at Fontana and if he stays consistent, expect his score to double to almost 420 points by season's end. Are you ready to move up in the standings and secure your qualifying spot? Sign up to run at www.driveoptima.com.
You can see the entire point standings for OPTIMA's Search for the Ultimate Street Car here.