Compare the Differences Between REDTOP® vs. YELLOWTOP® vs. BLUETOP® Batteries
REDTOP Starting Battery
REDTOP Starting Battery: Use this for normal engine starting where an alternator immediately monitors the state of charge and provides energy to the battery whenever it is needed. This would describe most stock vehicles.
Also use for:
- Automotive and RV under-hood starting
- Heavy equipment where starting is the primary function
- Diesel-powered vehicles with no aftermarket electronics
YELLOWTOP Deep-Cycle Battery
YELLOWTOP Deep-Cycle Battery: Use this when electrical loads are higher than average, or when the discharge cycle is more than typical engine starting, such as vehicles without alternators. This also includes vehicles with significant electrical loads that may exceed the average alternator output (for example, aftermarket audio systems, GPS, chargers, winches, snowplows, inverters, drag cars). This can also include vehicles that have a lot of electronics from the factory, such as a minivan with power sliding doors and a DVD player, especially if the DVD player is used when the engine isn’t running.
Also use for:
- Racing vehicles without a charging system (alternator or generator)
- Dedicated drag-racing vehicles
- Diesel-powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics
- Car audio/video applications exceeding 250 watts over the OE system
- Vehicles or heavy equipment with inverters, hydraulics, winches or other accessories
- Electric vehicles
Where can I get pucks or other adapters for my battery?
All new REDTOP batteries (except the 6-volt battery) and all new YELLOWTOP batteries (except the H6, Group 51, DS46B24R, 27 & 31) come with a variety of trays, pucks and other fitment adapters. If your battery did not come with this set of adapters, please contact our customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to have your original retailer's contact information handy.
BLUETOP Marine Battery
BLUETOP Marine Battery: The BLUETOP starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required; it should never be used for cycling duty. The dual-purpose BLUETOP (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling; it is a true deep-cycle battery with extremely high cranking power.
Also use for:
- Trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories and RVs should use a dual-purpose BLUETOP (which is both a starting and deep-cycle battery)
- Marine applications and RVs when the battery’s only function is engine starting
Note: The difference between BLUETOP and YELLOWTOP deep-cycle batteries is that BLUETOP batteries have both automotive (SAE) posts and threaded studs, while YELLOWTOPS (other than D31T) only have SAE terminals.
If you ever get confused about the colored tops, just remember: If it has a dark gray case, then it’s a starting battery; if it has a light gray case, then it’s a deep-cycle (dual-purpose) battery.
Compare the Differences between REDTOP vs. YELLOWTOP vs. BLUETOP Batteries
How to determine which OPTIMA battery is right for your vehicle.